The club's purpose is "to promote friendly relations between persons interested in photography and kindred subjects and for the advancement of knowledge in the science and art of photography."
Portland Camera Club Charter, 1899
Founded on May 24, 1899, the Portland Camera Club is one of the oldest camera clubs in the United States. The club welcomes anyone interested in photography, whatever their level of experience. Our programs include education through classes, workshops and guest speakers.
The Portland Camera Club is a registered 501(c)(7) organization.
Meetings are held every Monday from September through May (excluding Labor Day and the last two Mondays in December). Meetings starts at 7 PM.
We meet at the Woodfords Club, 179 Woodford Street, Portland (click here for Google Maps). Ample parking is available.
Handicap access: The main entrance of the Woodfords Club building includes a ramp with handicap access. The ramp and a number of handicap-only parking spaces are on the west side of the building, in between the Woodfords Club and the Jones-Rich-Hutchins Funeral Home. Inside the Woodfords Club building, the main floor (including restrooms) is ADA-compliant.
Winter cancellations: The club makes every effort to contact its members
in the event that a meeting must be canceled. The announcement will
be communicated via e-mail, a "telephone tree," and local television stations.
- Regular Membership dues are $50 per year ($25 if joining after February 1).
- High School students presenting a valid Student ID may participate in all club activities for free.
- Undergraduate college students presenting a valid Student ID may participate in all club activities for $25 per year.
- Family Memberships: First family member pays $50; each additional family member pays $25.
Visitors are always welcome. Anyone may participate, at no charge, in meetings during September and October. To continue participation in club activities, individuals must pay their annual dues by the end of the first meeting in November.
Dues payments may be made with a check or money order, made payable to "Portland Camera Club." Give your check to the club treasurer, Rick Thompson. Or you may pay via our Paypal page (click here for the Paypal Payments page). If you choose to mail in your check, mail it to:
Portland Camera Club
P.O. Box 2526
South Portland, ME 04116.
Executive Board and Committees
Members of the club's Executive Board are elected to their position. Elections are held during the club's Annual Business Meeting, which is usually held in early May.
2020-2021 Executive Board
President: Peter Flanagan
Vice President: Samm Marquis
Secretary: Steve Painter
Treasurer: Rick Thompson
Ella Hudson (most recent past president)
Enigmah Archer Hirsch
In addition to the club's Executive Board and Executive Committee, there are committees with special tasks, such as the Program/Workshop Committee and Membership Committee. To view a list of all PCC committees, click here for the PDF, or click this link to view the list as a Google Docs doc.
Using Paypal To Send a Payment to the Portland Camera Club
You can make an online payment to the Portland Camera Club for any reason, including membership dues, admission to special events, etc. Click here for the Portland Camera Club's Paypal page.
Member Communications (FB, Google Groups)
Private Facebook Group
In addition to the club's public Facebook page, the PCC maintains a private Facebook group. Membership in the private group must be approved. Those wanting to join are asked three questions. The group is kept private to prevent spamming. To visit the private group, go to Facebook and search for "Portland Camera Club Active Membership" or click this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PCCActiveMembership/.
The club maintains two Google Groups:
- A group for current members of the Portland Camera Club. Members are automatically added to the group when they join the PCC. To visit the PCC Members group, click here. To post a message to this group (current PCC members), write your post in an email and send it to: PCC_mbr@googlegroups.com
- A general-public group for anyone interested in the Portland Camera Club. Everyone is welcome. To join this group, click here and click the link that says "Subscribe to this group." Next, enter your email address. If you've already joined the group, click here. People who want to post a message to this general-public group should write the post in an email message and send it to: PCC_pub@googlegroups.com
Click here for the current Portland Camera Club Bylaws (PDF format).
The Libby Prints
Click here for the Libby Prints page, including a historical essay on Francis Orville Libby.
Meet Ups and Field Trips
Click here for the Meet Ups and Field Trips page.